Getting Around the Island
- Taxis - Taxi service is readily available at just about any place on the island
- Rental Cars - Apart from the reliable taxi service in Cozumel, there are many car rental agencies if you prefer more flexibility. These agencies are called Rentadoras and include many smaller agencies as well as more well know companies such as Alamo, Avis, and Budget. The service of Alamo is recommended and one particular individual at this company is very familiar with Chango Villa and helping customize your pickup options Your vehicle pickup can be arranged near, not at, the airport, or delivered directly to the villa when you arrive. Although it is possible to reserve online, I recommend making the reservation with the following contact to guarantee the vehicle model you specify is available (especially with Jeep and Van requests) and to possibly receive a discounted rate for Chango Villa. His name is Limbert Pool and his contact information is
- Moped Rental - These are also available at many rental shops on the island.
There are multiple ways to get to the island and many handy hints that will make planning a little easier.
- Option 1 - fly to Cozumel directly via a number of commercial airlines that service the island including: American Airlines, USAir, Delta, and Air Canada. Departure cities may be seasonal, but include: Newark, Miami, Charlotte, Minneapolis, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Detroit, Atlanta, and Toronto.
- Option 2 - fly to Cancun via the airlines listed above. You can then fly directly to Cozumel taking a 20 minute flight on Aerocaribe, the local airline, which has an average of 10 flights per day to the island
- Option 3 - Another option if flying into Cancun is taking a taxi or van from the Cancun Airport to Playa Del Carmen (a 30 minute ride South). You can schedule this service at a 50% discount if you pay in advance online. One company to make reservations is the following: http://www.cancunshuttle.com. The fee is typically $90-$100 U.S. for a van that can fit 10 adults before the pre-payment discount. Once you arrive in Playa del Carmen take the Ferry to Cozumel Island (a 30 minute trip). Ferry's will run approximately every hour: These are the current ferry schedules for the two competing companies that service the island; as a general rule one of them leaves every hour to Cozumel: http://www.mexicowaterjets.com/eng and https://www.ultramarferry.com/en . On a sunny day, this is a beautiful trip. It is possible to purchase tickets in advance, but is not necessary unless you are traveling during work transit times (8 a.m. or 5 p.m.). A one way ticket is approximately $10 U.S.
CHANGO VILLA Cozumel, Mexico